Saturday, January 23, 2010

my grandmother's house • a casa de minha avó

Only once a year or so do I have the pleasure to being in the company of my family. While some people may dred hanging with their own folk, I surely take great joy in it, especially being in the company of my grandmother, the matriarch of our large large large Mapurunga family. Dona Ritinha, my grandmother, had eighteen brothers and sisters. Her mother is 102 years old.

Dona Ritinha lives in Viçosa do Ceará, what I consider to be my birth grounds because she raised me when I was still a baby. Her home is a sanctuary to me and to so many others to whom she has been opening her doors for the past 40 years. You see, her home is a well-known pousada, that is, a quaint, no frills, bed and breakfast in the mountains of Ibiapaba, about five hours from the capital Fortaleza.

Lucky are the ones who have the chance to meet her and stay at her home, the Sayonara Hotel, of all names. I have asked her many times throughout my life what this name means, and she still doesn't know. I think it should be left like that.

No comments: